Sunday, February 27, 2011

This morning over breakfast we made a list of all the things we need to get done before we leave the region. There are bills to be paid, forms to be prepared, phone calls to make, and parties to plan. If we check out of our hotel on Wednesday morning as planned, most of that will need to be done by the end of the business day on Tuesday. Suddenly, our time here in Perechyn is rushing to an end.
Paying for different stages of the girls' paperwork is always in cash and means we need to be thinking ahead to be able to have the right amounts on hand on the right day without carrying too much excess cash. Once we start applying for the visas, some of the fees can only be paid in US dollars, so that adds another twist - having the right kind of money on the right day in the right amount.
This evening I was working on the 5 forms that we'll need to submit to the Embassy as we apply for the visas the girls will need to enter the States. It's convenient to be able to download them from online, but we'll need to find a way to print them out tomorrow and have them filled out before we hit the ground in Kiev.
One of the more fun things on the list is planning a good-bye party for each of the girls and their classes. We have some small toys that we brought along to give to their classmates (thanks to Stan's mom and her neighbor) and we'll be shopping for refreshments tomorrow. The plan is to have the parties on Tuesday afternoon and say all the big good-byes then. The girls will still be there Tuesday night, but we would pick them up the next morning without a lot of fanfare on our way to Uzhgorod where we would hopefully be picking up passports and getting on the train to Kiev.
Are you getting excited yet? I know we are. Here are a few fun pictures of the girls that I've been looking for an excuse to post.

Here's Julia "it's all mine" Hartzler!






















One of the girls' favorite things is playing with my hair. One day Stan got a picture of Maria fixing my hair while I braided Olena's hair.























When we got done, Maria took a picture of our finished work.

8 comments:

Kristen said...

Yes, we feel the excitement! So tricky, the details and paperwork.

Julia makes me laugh and laugh! Love the middle nick-name she's earned! It's so fun to see Maria and Olena enjoying the love and attention.

Kelsie said...

YES we're getting excited! Lots of details...praying for details...

cheryl said...

Julie, I'm in a small group with your sister Amy. It's been so much fun following your journey. I'm so excited for you guys! Congratulations! Many blessings as your family begins the next leg of your journey and then settles in at home.

Amy said...

I can't believe it is almost here! We will pray for wisdom for the money decisions & smooth transitions as they say good-bye. Love the pics of the girls!

Dad and Mom said...

What a lot of work to get done in a short time. Will be praying for focus, energy, presence of mind, etc. as you care for all these details. I'm sure those parties will have a bittersweet aspect to them. How exciting (and maybe scary) for your girls to be whisked away from all that's familiar to a brand new world--first Kiev (and living with Mama and Papa) and then the flight and HOME!!! I'm excited for all of you. Don't forget to have a Happy Birthday Julie! (You've come a long way from your birthplace as well.)

Anonymous said...

Every time I read I feel ready to burst with excitement; I can't imagine how you must feel! So much excitement . . . so many challenges:) My prayers continue for you. Parenting has taught me so much about God and myself; I'm sure it will do the same for you. May God give you great wisdom and joy in this new journey - trusting God to work out all the details. Jill R

Kristen said...

Happy Birthday, Ju!!!

Mayca said...

Happy birthday Julie!
Yes, we're getting very excited!
Hugs!