Even after court yesterday, our day ended up being eventful. After rushing back from court to post our good news we hiked back to the orphanage to tell the girls. Stan had bought them each a long-stemmed rose for Valentine's Day. When we arrived they were all busy with classes so we pulled them out of their classrooms just long enough to give them their rose and a Valentine's Day card with chocolate and tell them the news from the court. Maria seemed the happiest to hear the result; she probably better understood the implications of the decision.
Yesterday evening Stan had made some reservations at a restaurant here in Perechyn that was hosting a special Valentine's Day dinner featuring live music from a local band. We had gotten to know the owner of this restaurant because he had taken us up to the mountains when we went hiking a week ago Sunday. We were enjoying the music and had just finished the salad course when the restaurant owner began to systematically move from table to table with a microphone, apparently interviewing the men at each of the tables. It was all happening in Ukrainian (mostly in the very regional dialect of Ukrainian) so we didn't have a clue what was going on. Because the owner knew us and knew that Stan could speak some Russian, he wasn't going to leave us out of the proceedings. He introduced us by name and launched into his interview. Unfortunately, we still couldn't follow what he was saying even though he apparently switched to Russian when he started interviewing Stan. Stan had just replied (in Russian into the microphone) "We're glad to be here, thanks!" when a lady came over to our table and offered to interpret. She quickly explained she was also American. The owner had been asking all the guys to describe their first encounter with their first love.
Stan, to my chagrin, launched into the story of when we decided to start dating. If you're not familiar with that story it involves a return trip to a coffee shop, a stop at a gas station in Norwalk, and an attempted gang assassination - but that's a different story for a different blog post. When I crawled out from under the table where I was hiding, I realized I knew our impromptu interpreter. She was a Peace Corps volunteer who had some blog sites that detailed some of the community projects she was working with in Perechyn. I had been reading her blogs and was planning to contact her about a specific housing project for kids who had graduated from the orphanage school. I introduced myself and explained that I had been reading her blog site. She invited us to come sit with her and her husband. Her husband grew up in the orphanage where our girls are now. She and her husband had just gotten married a few months ago and will be moving to the U.S. this summer. We spent the evening getting the inside scoop on life in Perechyn and thankfully avoiding any further interview questions from the restaurant owner.
Since our day had already been a long one, we excused ourselves early and made arrangements to meet with her again today. We spent a couple of hours with her at a cafe this afternoon, asking her questions about the community, the challenges for kids that graduate from the orphanage school, and some of the amazing people here who are working hard to support these kids as they struggle to negotiate their first years on their own.
This afternoon when we went to visit the kids, we were invited to a presentation by the younger grade school kids (including Julia and Olena). It was called, "The Kingdom of English Grammar." The very enthusiastic English teacher directed the kids as they played their parts in a very creative presentation of the congugation of the verbs "to be" and "to run" in several tenses, in the negative form, and in question form. Each of the kids had a different word hung around their neck as they played different parts of the sentence. Julia was the word "it" and Olena was the word "do." It made me very glad that I never had to learn English as a new language.
After the program we chatted with the English teacher who showed us the language lab and various learning materials. We accepted an invitation to spend some time with her at her home tomorrow afternoon.
Julia as "it" hangs out with "he" and "she"
Olena is the second girl from the right
4 comments:
Wow! What an eventful Valentine's Day! It's so neat that you got to meet the lady whose blog you have been following. I am amazed at how much you guys have been learning about the culture and the area in the short time you are there. It will surely aid in your understanding of the girls & the transition they will soon make.
And thanks for posting more pics of the girls. It helps to get an understanding of them in their environment.
Oh, and I love that Stan has 3 new Valentines this year!! How special for them!
Wow! That was eventful! Sounds like the Lord continues to provide every step of this journey. What an encouragement!!
Yes, I was about to start my comment with the word "Wow!" too! This is totally crazy, running into these folks and, well, all of it!
Aw... I hope you took pictures with the girls and their roses. Stan's got his hands full with Valentines for sure.
Have a lot of fun meeting up with your new friends. I am amazed how you always seem to make friends with really interesting and cool people. I guess it's natural to make friends with people who are like you.
Loved the pictures of your daughters in their English program! I just want to hug and squeeze 'em, or should I say... hug and squeeze "it" and "do" ? :)
I was surprised to learn that English is part of their curriculum. (I'm still working with my seminary students on the conjugation of "to be". Maybe they need more visuals.) Is their school within the orphanage or do they go to a village school?
Post a Comment