Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Kingdom of English Grammar

Today we enjoyed being the only parents at a school presentation/play. Having been at two of the rehearsals, we also knew that the final show came together surprisingly well, thanks to the English teacher's hard work.
Julia was one of the kids to recite an English poem on her own. She had been learning it from a copy transliterated for her into Cyrillic, so when we first saw it a couple of days ago, we had a hard time deciphering some of the words. Right before the program we went over it with her a few times and she did a good job rehearsing. During the presentation, she needed a little prompting from her teacher to get through to the end. We made sure to get a video recording of her reciting her poem. A friend of mine who adopted a girl from Ukraine said she wished she had taken more video of her daughter in the first six months she was learning English because after that she had lost her cute accent.
Popular hair accessories for school girls in Ukraine include what I like to call the 'dollop of whipped cream' hair tie. When we were here in August, I noticed all the school girls wore one or two of these on their first day of school. Has anyone seen this before? How about in Slovakia or Spain?


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVING your updates stan and julie! :) :) can't wait to have your girls home with you :)
i saw the hairbows like that in romania - - so eastern europe?! :)
blessings! :)
ben and misty :)

Kristen said...

Love the 'dollop of whip cream hair accessories. That's how I would describe them as well. Too cute!!

So glad to hear Julia's poem went well. Love the pics. Wish I could give all the little ones a hug.

Andy said...

Sure, I used to wear one of those when I lived in Spain... (just kidding!) Actually, I have sen them there, but only on someone who was already wearing a flamenco dress.

thepletts said...

These were new to us; definitely not Slovakia or northern Indiana. However, we could help you start a new trend. They look possibly like a jellyfish or butterfly landing on their heads.