Saturday, February 26, 2011

Counting down our last few visits

As we were walking back from the orphanage today, I was happy to be able count our remaining visits on one hand. As orphanages go, I consider this one a pretty bright and cheerful place. So many of the teachers we've met have a real connection with the kids. The place is pretty clean although well worn. Every physical need is met.
Kids can't thrive in an institution, though. We'll be happy for the day our girls come to live with us. Even so, we'll leave a part of our hearts here with the kids that are staying behind. I still haven't processed some of the sights I've seen - a young teenage girl with her head in her hands, crying alone in a corner of an empty room, grade school boys hungry for a chance to hug a parent figure, kids that daily ask if we know of any families who would adopt them.
Here are a few pictures of the orphanage and (on a lighter note) one of Julia in her dance class today.


3 comments:

Kristen said...

Lots of tears for those orphans that will be left behind. It is so hard to accept the truth of their pain... so hard...

But I can't help but to rejoice that you are making THE DIFFERENCE for three specific ones! I am reminded that the Scriptures teach us that orphans (along with widows) are very close to the heart of God.

Dad and Mom said...

I had no idea the orphanage was that huge! (Actually the layout reminds me of Indiana state prisons.) Those "left behind" sure
pull at the heartstrings. Your little dancer is a charmer.

Anonymous said...

I, too, was overcome seeing the pictures of the orphange. The vastness of it really shook me to the core as I pictured one or more child in each of those windows. Maria, Olena and Julia are so fortunate that God brought them a Mom and Dad from thousands of miles away to care for and love them unconditionally, as He loves us. And likewise, He fulfilled the desires of your hearts by giving you these three beautiful girls.

We are very happy for your triple blessing.

Love, AJ & UR