Thursday, March 10, 2011

Pre-Dawn Sewing Party

One of the latest things the girls have been enthusiastically engaging in is embroidery. As you saw in the pictures of the museum at the orphanage, embroidery is a significant part of the culture. The girls were exposed to the art while they were at the orphanage and they went crazy over some supplies that Stan's mom and some dear friends had already passed along to us. We had everyone set up with their own embroidery hoop, cloth, needle and embroidery floss when they asked if they could keep their embroidery stuff in their room. They had been sewing so diligently and quietly all afternoon, how could I say no?
A little before 6 a.m. this morning, I noticed there was a little more light in the hall than normal, so I went to investigate. All three girls were in Olena and Julia's room having a little sewing party. They were bitterly disappointed when I broke it up to have them get back in bed for a little longer. My estimate of just how long this party had been going on when I arrived got longer as the day went on, especially when the meltdown count sky-rocketed. It was a really good day to have a husband who works out of the home. I definitely benefited from some tag-team parenting today.
The challenges of the day seem pretty small when I think about how many sweet moments we had as well. Here are some pictures to document some of them.Stan and Olena went out for a haircut early this morning. They both came back looking sharp.


















The girls had their first chance to try out a new soccer ball.












And as the most enthusiastic new Hoosiers, they did a great job shooting hoops.










After the early start to the day, Olena didn't make it to 8 p.m.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

How fun... an early morning sewing party! (Sounds like something you, me, and Amy would have done when we were younger.) I know it didn't seem "fun" as the day wore on, but what a valuable thing for kids to have: initiative!

So glad they are enjoying good sports/exercise too!