Julia is the most expressive, but Olena is smiling nonstop here and often giving Julie impulsive hugs (she is very affectionate and easy to please and was an absolute joy for the last few weeks and on the trip), and Maria was pretty overwhelmed by having her own beautiful bedroom and is obviously happy though still quite quiet. Just after Pete and Beth and my parents left us alone, Julia was sitting at the counter and I asked her if she wanted an orange, an apple, or a banana, and she said, "Orange, apple, AND banana." I was just starting to get that when she caught a glimpse of what was in the drainer and started yelling, "Pomidorchka, pomidorchka, pomidorchka!" (a diminutive word probably best translated "cute little tomato"), setting all 4 of us laughing. A similar thing happened at lunchtime today when I pulled some Polish kielbasa off the grill and she just about came through the glass shouting "Kovbaska (little sausage)". Another classic: taking a sip of Coke in Frankfurt, exclaiming "Cacacochka!" (not a real word, I think, but close enough), and giving the bottle a delighted and passionate kiss. They did get a peaceful start to the day, all three snuggled together under blankets on the loveseat in front of Sunday morning cartoons. Maria and I had a good time together later in the backyard filling up the birdseed and getting the deck cleared off; she insisted on doing all the shoveling while I got the grill going.
The trip went better than I was expecting. We were in the air for about 12 hours (almost 3 to Frankfurt and at least 9 to Chicago). Julia had a little trouble during the layover and around hour 8 over the Atlantic. Lufthansa gave fantastic food service and nicer kiddie toys on both flights than I have ever seen, even when airlines were more full-service when I was little: nice stencils in a classy cloth bag, chocolates, playing cards, and a painted wooden baby bird on a steel carabiner. Maria hurt her hand trying to get out of the plane bathroom, which dampened the last part of her trip, but she was a trooper and she is fine now. All three slept the whole 3 hours of the van ride home from Chicago. Everyone slept through the important hours of the night, too, although Julie needed to help Julia a little at the beginning and around 4:30. I made sure I didn't sleep after Frankfurt, and I was able to sleep until 8, and then Julie got some extra sleep while I kept the girls busy.
We know there is going to be a lot of adjustment and work for all 5 of us in this next chapter, but it feels incredible for all the craziness, dangers, and uncertainties in the adoption process and orphanage to be over. There were so many ways that God's hand was obvious on this trip and, in retrospect, over the last 3 years to bring these particular 3 precious girls into our family that we are pretty overwhelmed with thankfulness. All the waiting, effort, and pain were definitely worth it.

Olena's teacher had a hard time saying goodbye.

Taking visa pictures on Thursday

Wiped out after the first embassy visit
9 comments:
WHOOOO HOOOOO!!!!! ben and i rejoice with you!!! :) Praise GOD you are HOME with your precious girls . . . GOD IS GOOD!!!!!! :) :) :)
much love,
ben and misty :)
Yay!! You're home! Praise Our Father in Heaven for the great things he has done!
May He continue to bless you each moment in your adjustment time together. Absolutely love to hear all the little stories and antedotes!
Just wanted to say that I've been following your blog and all the adventures you've been on to adopt these girls. I say you've gotten 3 really special someones.
~Emily, who you stayed a couple nights with in Kiev.
I am so very happy for you guys! Thank you for modeling such perseverance (amongst many other godly character traits) through these past years for all of us to watch and learn from. So thankful that the hidden treasures are now found and home with their parents.
Wow! Congrats on being back with your girls! So exciting! Def will be praying the adjustment goes smoothly! So blessed!
In Him
Andrea
YEAH! Welcome home, Mom and Dad! Welcome home Maria, Olena and Julia! Welcome to a whole new life! Can't wait to see all of you!
My eyes are welling up with tears...SO SO HAPPY for you! Praise God - This is wonderful!! Can't wait to meet those beautiful precious girls!! :-D
So glad you're "Home at Last!" What a journey! So thankful for your girls, for the safe trip, for the positives as they settle in and for you and the great parents you are.
Wow, what a journey! God's timing is perfect. Can't wait to see the 5 of you. It's great to have someone call you mom and dad, isn't it. Heartfelt congratulations.
Larry & Felicia
Post a Comment