Saturday, January 22, 2011

. . .and we're off!

We are now enroute to our appointment in Kiev on our second trip to Ukraine. We are sitting in the South Bend airport terminal waiting for the first leg of our flight to Kiev. My sister, Beth, and her husband Pete just drove us through the cold and the snow to drop us off for our flight. I'm watching snow plows scurry around clearing the landing strip. It's been chilly for northern Indiana with lows for tonight predicted at -5 F (-20 C). Lows for Kiev are in the lower +20's F (around -4 C). Although it will be warmer initially when we arrive, temperatures in Kiev will probably be similar to northern Indiana. One difference is we will be spending more time outside as we'll be walking and using public transportation more. Before I write more about our current travels, let me catch you up on what's been going on the past couple of weeks.
On Monday, January 7th we drove to Michigan City to get our fingerprints taken to update our U.S. paperwork. Out of all the government offices we've interfaced with in the past 3 1/2 years, I have to give this office in Michigan City the top honors. All of the staff members are pleasant and professional and they get us in and out of the office so quickly. Runner up for the best interface with bureaucracy is the Tetouan Wilaya, the provincial government office in the last town we lived in during our four years on Morocco. Every time we went there for documentation, they were also pleasant, professional and efficient.
On January 12th, just ten days ago, we were sitting in this same terminal waiting to start our trip to Edmonton - together this time. We were delayed by 24 hours due to snow so, as we're watching the snow fall today and our scheduled departure pushed later, we are praying that this won't keep us from getting into Kiev in time for our Tuesday appointment.
Our trip to Edmonton last week was a wonderful chance to connect with friends from our time there and as well as our time in Morocco. It gave us practice for packing for this trip and made the last couple weeks of waiting go by in a blink.
When my brother-in-law dropped us off at the airport, he asked us what we thought our greatest fear was for this trip. Stan said it was the process of meeting the next set of children. I fear the emotional strain if we end up doing more than one appointment again. On our last trip I would have said that I feared the appointment process (one hour to review files and choose children to adopt). In all three of our appointments during the last trip, God gave us peace and clear direction as well as unity. Through the process we have grown in our trust that he can lead us in these big decisions, even when we don't have all the information we think we need.
Although we discussed our fears, I've been feeling at peace even in that flurry of the last minute tasks that are inevitable before an extended trip. It's a special grace that God extends to me through your prayers.
Our airplane just arrived at the gate so I'll sign off for the last time in Indiana for a while.
Quick update: Our plane made it through the South Bend snow with only a short delay and we are now in Chicago with a 3+ hour layover.

1 comment:

Shari said...

I was hoping for an update here. I feared I should have signed up for the email.....please know we are praying for you guys and HAPPY TO HEAR good ole MC treated you right.....(I am from MC)